and Eve Valentine officially founded Metropolitan Pit Stop in 1975,
although the seed was planted long before that. During the years
Metropolitans were made, Jimmy and Eve were starting their family.
They adored the little Mets, however with 3 small children they
needed a family car and purchased a Nash Rambler station wagon instead.
In college, Jimmy's love of music and interest in electronics led
him to pursue a career as a recording engineer. Jimmy met Eve while
on furlough during WWII and they were married in 1949. They opened
Valentine Recording Studios in 1949, with Jimmy at the sound controls
and Eve managing the office.
In 1973, with their children grown, they decided it was time to
get that little car they'd always wanted and bought their first
Metropolitan. Before long, they discovered that finding parts for
their new car wasn't easy, since production of the Metropolitan
had ceased in 1961.
After frustrating experiences with repair shops that couldn't locate
parts for their Met, Jimmy started searching for the parts himself.
He began scouring auto swap meets on weekends, finding little. Next,
he sent letters to American Motors dealers across the country, asking
to purchase any leftover Metropolitan parts. Some dealers were happy
to unload them and boxes of parts began filling up the garage and
a spare bedroom in the Valentines' home.
Metropolitan owners across the country heard about Jimmy's growing
collection, they began asking if they could buy some of his parts.
That prompted the Valentines to put together a list of mail order
items. As requests grew, Jimmy enjoyed the challenge of trying
to find the parts they needed.